Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Into the Ether

Today December 7th 2011, is a day that will forever live in infamy. I speak, of course, not of the 70th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor(though I'll grant that that was a sad day), but rather the cyber warfare my illustrious alma mater is waging against your humble blogger. Perhaps intimidated by my burgeoning online success, the University of Wisconsin has stripped me of my email account and surreptitiously claimed that I did not set up email forwarding.

This gross malfeasance begs the thought experiment,if an email is sent to a deactivated account, what becomes of it? Like the apocryphal tree that falls in the unmanned forest, does the email simply go unnoticed? While my email isn't exactly a torrent of an email, there remains a steady stream of important correspondences. Indeed that is perhaps the most troubling aspect of the whole situation, the horrible thought of the valuable messages I'm not receiving. While logic would argue that I'm mostly missing out on spam offering me steep discounts on prescription drugs and Nigerian advance fee scams, I'm left with the sickening feeling that I'm missing truly valuable information that I will now never be able to recover. In the end, I feel like a pro-life zealot, arguing to everyone and no one, that email begins at conception and to cruelly terminate my precious email before it can come to term in my inbox is truly a sin God's eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment